Wednesday, December 10, 2014

ARC Review: The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician #2)

The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician #2) by Charlie N. Holmberg

Publisher: 47North, 2014
222 pages, paper edition
Source: Netgalley
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Paranormal
Link: Goodreads

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Three months after returning Magician Emery Thane’s heart to his body, Ceony Twill is well on her way to becoming a Folder. Unfortunately, not all of Ceony’s thoughts have been focused on paper magic. Though she was promised romance by a fortuity box, Ceony still hasn’t broken the teacher-student barrier with Emery, despite their growing closeness.

When a magician with a penchant for revenge believes that Ceony possesses a secret, he vows to discover it…even if it tears apart the very fabric of their magical world. After a series of attacks target Ceony and catch those she holds most dear in the crossfire, Ceony knows she must find the true limits of her powers…and keep her knowledge from falling into wayward hands.

My Review:
This book didn’t quite live up to the expectations I was expecting it too. I’m not too sure if I was completely in a different time frame of mind this time around or what.
Ceony has been pining after Emory ever since she saved him in the first book. The bad guys are still on her tail, consistently putting her and everyone that is around her in danger. But I seriously felt that the emotions she is now having for Emory have clouded her judgment, making her short-sighted and reckless!! Gone is the young girl I fell in love with in The Paper Magician and while she is still headstrong, she is not making foolish decisions and letting her emotions rule her actions, which is putting everyone else in jeopardy.
I kind of disliked how certain details in the story would come along and then suddenly be dropped and forgotten (e.g. what happened to that super nice safety bicycle Ceony had, the one she to her luncheon with Delilah with the enchanted tires that would not wear?) Perhaps the author thought it an unimportant detail but it still kind of bugged me that Ceony would treat her belongings so carelessly. But other than those little minor details I and the book not being what I expected it still was an enjoyable read and I would recommend it to other readers.

My Rating:

No comments :

Post a Comment