Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Review: Empty Net (Assassins #3)

Empty Net (Assassins #3) by Toni Aleo

Publisher: Loveswept, 2013
496 pages, kindle edition
Source: Purchased through Amazon
Genre: New Adult, Sports, Romance, Contemporary, Abuse, Erotica
Links: Goodreads | Amazon

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Audrey Parker is up against the boards. She’s stuck in a job she hates and pining for a total jerk. Meanwhile, her sister Fallon is moving out and getting married to hockey star Lucas Brooks. Where is Audrey’s Prince Charming? Nothing she does has ever seemed to be good enough for any of the men in her life. Audrey’s about to hit rock bottom . . . until she wakes up next to Tate Odder.

The thrill of moving up from the minors to the Nashville Assassins was a welcome distraction. But not even becoming the first rookie goalie to tally three shutouts in the Stanley Cup Finals alleviates the pain. With the loss of his parents and sister weighing as heavily on his soul as ever, Tate Odder can’t keep pretending he’s okay. That’s when he meets smart, sexy Audrey. Her gentle warmth and quirky sense of humor make him feel whole for the first time in too long. But to stay that way forever, Tate must find a way to accept his past and learn to live for love.

My Review:
Audrey is a strong women that can't seem to let go of a creep of a boyfriend. Her struggle spoke to that part of me that hates for things to change. It seems easier to go along with bad if the alternative is horrible. That's the situation that Audrey finds herself in. Repeatedly going back to a bad relationship felt better to her than be alone. I felt for her but I also wanted to shake her especially when Tate became part of the situation. He very much wanted to be with her and he was such a better choice than....well I refuse to say his name in this review because I disliked him that much. We will refer to him as the boyfriend who should not be named.

I'm happy to name Tate though. He rocked. I loved his strength and perseverance. He's young but he's lived a lot in his 21 years. His determination is a reflection of that. I loved how he had some struggles that made him oh so real. I loved how he got lost in his music. I loved how he prepared for a hockey game. I loved how fiercely he loved Audrey. I loved the passion between them.

The story itself was complex. It could have almost been two books. I will admit that I became frustrated with Audrey at times. I wanted to kick her in the butt every time she spoke to Boyfriend Who Should Not Be Name and every time she pushed Tate away because he was too young. I wish that part of the story had moved a little faster. Once I got through it the story picked up and I enjoyed it a lot more.

My Rating:

No comments :

Post a Comment