Monday, April 6, 2015

ARC Review: When You Leave

When You Leave by Monica Ropal

Publisher: Running Press, 2015
336 pages, kindle edition
Source: Netgalley
Release Date: April 7th 2015
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Mystery, Romacne
Links: Goodreads | Amazon US | Amazon AU | Amazon UK

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
Cass is positive that the people she cares about most will eventually leave her. Her father is gone, her mother doesn’t notice Cass exists, and her best friend’s battle with cancer was too close of a call. So when she begins her year at a wealthy new private school, Cass’s plan is to suffer through it in anonymity.

However, when her cute locker neighbor, Cooper, shows an undeniable attraction toward Cass, keeping him at a safe distance isn’t easy. Even though her Frogtown skater world and his do-gooder preppy one are so different, Cass and Cooper somehow mesh. And once Cass lets her guard down, Cooper is mysteriously murdered—thus proving her original theory.

When Cass’s close friend is suspected as the killer, she isn’t sure who she can trust anymore. Between investigating Cooper’s murder and trying to understand what she really meant to him, will Cass even find what she is looking for?

Monica Ropal’s tension-filled and emotionally-charged YA debut explores the issues of an outsider looking in, and her desperation to find the impossible answers. Why do people leave? And who will be next?

My Review:
I immediately started reading this book and the excitement was sort of gone with the wind. The beginning of this book annoyed the crap out me, it was kind of like skaters were Martians. I can assure you there were not, but the writing style was good, a bit halting at times, but was improved throughout the book. I read a few reviews here and there of this book and some said that the books writing was too direct for them but I could agree with that comment. I liked direct writing and this was very direct in a very good way. It kind of felt like someone was telling you their story like it was a real person’s point of view. The main character thought of a lot of great words my fav was ‘incognito escape route’.

But ignoring the skater aspect of the book got really good. Her relationship with Cooper was a bit sudden and out of nowhere but the way they behaved was pretty realistic. Something I also could not understand was the whole thing with the private schooling. We have a lot of private schooling and just as many public school wealthy and average students attend both educations provided here in Australia. But this book was not what I expected it to be I thought it would deal with more Cass’s insecurities, mostly because of the synopsis. I sure didn’t except it to be a mystery story or to be about murder at all. But before you go and label me dumb or stupid: I didn’t read everything in synopsis, only the first sentence. So everything that other people read in the sysnopsis was a complete surprise to me.

The characters in this book were so original, especially Mattie and Brady. Mattie was definitely my fav character in general. I have not read a character like him before and I have never read a book with a mute person in it ever. And Brady well I definitely did not like him, he is scary and annoying but he was very unusual. So I really think you should read this book or give it a try.

My Rating:

Author Bio:
I live in St. Paul, MN with my husband and three children whom I lovingly refer to as my three-ring circus. When I’m not writing or playing ringleader, I also work as a hospice nurse.
I’m represented by Barbara Poelle at the Irene Goodman Literary Agency


Nerdy Fangirl Facts About Me:
1. Huge (no, HUGE) One Direction fan and I just won tickets to their concert next summer. This is a rainbow safe zone.
2. Ron and Hermione are my original OTP no matter what Jo says.
3. Rainbow Rowell is my contemporary literary idol.


Author Links: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment