Monday, April 6, 2015

Review: Changing Course (Wrecked and Ruined #1)

Changing Course (wrecked & Ruined #1) by Aly Martinez

Publisher: Not available, 2014
259 pages, kindle edition
Source: Purchased through Amazon
Release Date: January 26th 2014
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Contemporary, Abuse
Links: Goodreads | Amazon Us | Amazon AU | Amazon UK

Synopsis (from Goodreads):
I met Sarah Kate Erickson when I was twenty-one years old. I was lucky enough to keep her for seven years before a tragic accident stole her from me. She didn’t die, but sometimes I think it would have been easier if she had.

I lived in a haze for those four years after the accident. Catering to her every need, even though she hated the very sight of my face. I tried to hold on to her and the future that we were supposed to build together. But you can’t hold on to someone that doesn’t exist anymore.

It wasn’t until I met Jesse Addison, a barista at the local coffee shop, that I realized I didn’t just lose Sarah that tragic night, I lost myself as well. Jesse taught me how to let go of the past and learn to love again. But what happens when your past haunts your present and the woman you used to love refuses to accept the woman you can’t live without?

My Review:
This story starts with Detective Brett Sharp telling us about the night that he met his wife Sarah and the life they lived happily, until a tragic accident stole their happily ever after from them, Sarah and Brett’s story is so great to begin with. It I funny and sexy, and you can so tell that they truly love each other. But then we learn of the accident and it is nothing short of a very heartbreaking tragedy. All the emotions just pour off the pages and it makes you feel every gut wrenching moment that Brett and Sarah feel. 4 years later Brett still cannot let go and move on from the past that haunts him, but that is until a coffee shop barista Jesse Addison changes everything. I absolutely love everything that Jesse stood for. She is shy and insecure but she also has a really feisty side to her that makes her unafraid to tell someone when they are being a jerk. Though no matter how mad she gets, she really refuses to cuss a bad word, I love and find it funny as hell. She also has the biggest heart so pure and kind, and that is shown all the time throughout the story.

Brett and Jess were just so perfect for one another. They each helped one another overcome their struggles, though it was not anything easy. They fought for what they wanted, but it definitely was not all hardships. They had such a great relationship that all things Sarah aside was filled with fun, laughs and hot chemistry they shared was likely to cause a fire wherever they went. The accident didn’t just affect Brett and Sarah though. Caleb, Brett’s best friend lost his fiancé that night and he is still living with the pain of losing her all over again. It was impossible not to fall in love with Caleb, I am so happy that he gets his chance at love again in the second book in the series whoever the lady is, she absolutely lucky to have someone like Caleb by their side.

Through this book I was completely torn between when it came to Sarah part of me thought she was bloody out of her mind like bat shit crazy and I was desperately wanting her out of the picture completely so Brett and Jess could get on with their future together. But sometimes that was not the case, also the other side of me felt completely bad for her. I cannot being to imagine what she is been going through and I do not know how likely it is, but I am really hoping that a book in the series also give Sarah her second chance at love.

My Rating:

Author Bio:
Born and raised in Savannah, Georgia, Aly Martinez is a stay-at-home mom to four crazy kids under the age of five- including a set of twins. Currently living in Chicago, she passes what little free time she has reading anything and everything she can get her hands on, preferably with a glass of wine at her side.
After some encouragement from her friends, Aly decided to add “Author” to her ever-growing list of job titles. So grab a glass of Chardonnay, or a bottle if you’re hanging out with Aly, and join her aboard the crazy train she calls life.


Author Links: Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads

No comments :

Post a Comment